Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, is known for its centuries-old architecture and a rich culture with Southeast Asian, Chinese and French influences. At its heart is the chaotic Old Quarter, where the narrow streets are roughly arranged by trade and enjoy the best Hanoi street food.
Hanoi street food has been voted as one of the most attractive top 10 street food of Asia by CNN. In this list there are Penang (Malaysia), Seoul (South Korea), Bangkok (Thailand), Fukuoka (Japan) … The specialist travel of CNN news decribed that Hanoi as a world’s most impressive food. Many visitors also stated, this is street food paradise. But Wondering – if you have only one day to travel in Hanoi, what would you eat around?
Here is our suggestions:
Pho – Vietnamese food is the best known for Pho and Hanoi its original city.
Let’s have the world best “Pho” in the middle of Hanoi.
Here are where can you get it:
1. Phở Bát Đàn – 49 Bat Dan street, Hoan Kiem District.
2. Phở Thìn – 13 Lo Duc street, Hai Ba Trung District.
3.Phở Lý Quốc Sư – 10 Ly Quoc Su street, Hoan Kiem District
If there is one street dish that is well-and-truly Vietnamese, it’s “Banh Cuon”/ steamed rice paper rolls – one of the best Hanoi street food.
Over the last two decades, pho bo or beef noodle soup has become recognised as the national dish. It is also Vietnam’s best-known food export.
Yet the dish that has been tickling Vietnamese palates for well over 800 years — the time when it was first recorded in writing — is banh cuon or steamed rice paper rolls.
So, Where can you find it in Hanoi?
1. Bánh cuốn Thanh Trì – Thanh Tri Ward, Hoang Mai District – around 30,000 VND / plate.
2. Bánh cuốn Hàng Gà – 14 Hang Ga street, Hoan Kiem District – 20,000 VND – 45,000 VND/ plate
3. Bánh cuốn Bà Hoành – 66 To Hien Thanh street, Hai Ba Trung District – 30,000 VND/ plate
4. Bánh cuốn Gia An – 25 Thai Phien street, Hai Ba Trung District – 29,000 VND – 54,000 VND / plate
Bun Dau Mam Tom – The famous noodle that not every foreigner would have a bravery to try because the smell of the shrimp sauce. But we Vietnamese love it since behind the smell (which is unavoidable) the taste is pretty sweet and the combination of rice noodle, soya cheese and shrimp sauce brings joy to your mouth.
Here we go:
1. Bún đậu Hàng Khay – The alley 31 Hang Khay street – around45,000 VND/ portion.
2. Bún đậu mắm tôm Cây Bàng – 129 Dai La street, Hai Ba Trung District – 30,000 VND / portion.
3. Bún đậu gốc đa Ngõ Gạch – 3 Ngo Gach street, Hoan Kiem District – 50,000 VND/ portion.
Nem Nuong – Grilled pork – one of the best food for drinking beer in the summer in Hanoi.
Let’s enjoy it with your drinking partners at:
1. Nem chua nướng – 10 Au Trieu street 7,000 VND / stick.
2. Nem lụi phố Phan Huy Ích – Phan Huy Ich street – 10,000 VND / stick.
3. Nem rán ngõ Tạm Thương – 36 Ngo Tam Thuong street – 80,000 VND / plate / 2 people.
Bun Cha – one of the street food which the US president Obama has eaten during his trip in Vietnam but this is the must-try Hanoi street food while traveling in here.
Let’s give it a try:
1. Bún chả Hương Liên – 24 Le Van Huu street, Hoan Kiem District. (Obama Bun Cha)
2. Bún chả Hàng Than – 34 Hang Than street, Ba Dinh District.
3. Quán bún chả Hàng Mành – 1 Hang Manh street, Hoan Kiem District.
4. Bún chả Hàng Quạt – 74 Hang Quat street, Hoan Kiem District.
“Nộm bò khô” – Dried beef salad – is so popular in Vietnam that it has gradually become a familiar snack of street foods family and showed up frequently in the parks or schools in Hanoi.
Savoring the utter spiciness of chili, the spicy sweet of dried beef, the crispiness of julienned green papaya, the pungent flavor of herbs and the nutty taste of roasted peanut.
Want to try eat? Here is our suggestions:
1. Hoan Kiem lake – 35,000 VND – 45,000 VND / plate
2. Nộm Lim – 23 Pham Hong Thai street, Ba Dinh District – 30,000 VND / plate.
3. Nộm Mai Nga – 25 Ham Long street, Hoan Kiem District – 35,000 VND / plate
Egg coffee – One of the Vietnamese unique style to serve a “world class” coffee. They beaten the egg-white with sugar to create the creamy texture then added the extracted coffee on top. Just taste the creamy first, mix it well – Keep calm & enjoy.
You can find it in these places:
1. Cafe Đinh – 13 Dinh Tien Hoang street, Hoan Kiem Distirict.
2. Cafe Giảng – The alley 39 Nguyen Huu Huan street, Hoan Kiem District.
3. Cafe Phố Cổ – 11 Hang Gai street, Hoan Kiem District.